Tuesday, February 17, 2009

A Wedding To Remember...

This past weekend while many couples squeezed in reservations and last minute gifts for their "special someone", I was granted the opportunity to photograph a real Valentine moment as Lisa Gomez tied the knot with Eddie Gilmore and it was definately not a wedding I'll soon forget. These two brought together very blended and multicultural families and there wasn't a dry eye in the church as Lisa's brother brought her down the isle to her groom in place of her father whom has passed away. It was a beautiful ceremony attended by a myriad of friends and family both local and from out of state. I wish the new Mr. & Mrs. Gilmore all the happiness and a hundred more Valentine days just as special!












One of the things I love most about photographing weddings is that it gives me a chance to get an inside look at families and their backgrounds meeting all kinds of characters. I often step outside of just the "picture lady" for a wedding and become much more as my assistant this past weekend soon found out - if you're there and you're willing, many jobs can often befall you in the downtime in between photographs. You may play hairstylist, nanny, dress straightener, messenger or even a shoulder to cry on. While it can get a little overwhelming at times and often I'm ready to crash out by the day's end, when I look back over it all I am reminded of why I love my job and thank God for the blessing of being able to do it.



So you've read that I had an assistant this past weekend and I would be completely wrong to not publicly thank Ms. Toy Bourn for all of her help. She and I had the greatest time on this mini-roadtrip into Louisiana where the wedding took place; singing songs at the top of our lungs, watching the hotel hot-tub overflow with bubbles from some kid dumping in an entire bottle of shampoo, trying out Starbucks new breakfast sandwiches (which I have to give an A+ to) or driving through two cities looking for a restaurant to dine at on Valentine's evening only to wind up back at the hotel eatery. This girl is too much fun and took on the task of being my help in full stride. Thanks Toy for making the trip there and back bearable! Below you'll find a snapshot we took on the way out of town that I think will give you an idea of just how silly we got. This girl is one of the hardest working people I know and would give you her last dime if she knew you needed it but- she also knows how to have a good time. I hope this tickles you and brings a smile to your face as much as it does me each time I catch a glance. Happy Valentine's Day all!

No comments:

Post a Comment